The Quality Payments scheme for 2017/18 has now ended. We will update this section when we receive information about the final outcome and plans for any future Quality Payments.
The Quality Payments Scheme is income that community pharmacies can claim if they meet certain quality criteria. Pharmacies can claim Quality Payments at two review points in 2017 (28th April and 24th November). This section includes information and resources to help you qualify for and claim Quality Payments.
How it works
- You must meet four gateway criteria before you can claim any Quality Payments. If you don’t meet all four criteria on the review date, you will not be eligible for any Quality Payments.
- If you meet the gateway criteria, you can claim for those Quality Payments where you meet the relevant criteria on the review date. Some payments can be claimed at both review dates. Some can only be claimed once a year.
- Claims must be submitted via the NHS BSA portal during the claim period for that review date.
Guidance on what to do and how to claim
NHS England has published detailed guidance setting out the criteria for each Quality Payment, as well as the gateway criteria. It is essential that you read this carefully and use this as your go-to guide. We strongly recommend you bookmark this page in case of any changes to the guidance. If you download/print documents, please keep revisiting that webpage to ensure you are still using the most recent version.
- NHS England Quality Payments Scheme webpage
- NHS England updated guidance for November 2017 claims (Oct 2017)
- NHS England Quality Payments guidance (Mar 2017) – some information in this document may have been superseded by the guidance for November 2017
- NHS England Gateway Criteria guidance (Dec 2016) – some information in this document may have been superseded by the guidance for November 2017
Greater Manchester LPC tip guides & resources
We produce short tip guides that break the key requirements down into bite-sized chunks. A number of contractors said the guides we produced for April’s Quality Payments were really helpful. We are now updating them for November and will publish new guides each week. Please read them in conjunction with the full NHS England guidance.
November 2017 Tip Guides
- Issue 1: Overview & how to claim
- Issue 2: Gateway Criteria
- Issue 3: Asthma referrals
- Issue 4: Patient safety report
- Issue 5: CPPQ patient experience survey
- Issue 6: Dementia Friends
- Issue 7: Safeguarding
- Issue 8: NHS 111 Directory of Services (DoS)
- Issue 9: Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1
- Issue 10: Summary Care Records
- Issue 11: Registering for SCR access
- Issue 12: Submitting claims
Guide to November 2017 Quality Payments
This presentation by Fin Mc Caul from GMLPC and PSNC guides you through the requirements for November and the changes since April’s Quality Payments.
April 2017 Tip Guides
Please note that some requirements have changed since April. The information in these guides may have been superseded by the November guidance. They are included here for archive purposes while we develop November’s tip guides.
- Issue 15: Final checks before April claims (26th April 2017)
- Issue 14: Summary Care Records update (18th April 2017)
- Issue 13: Claiming your Quality Payments (11th April 2017)
- Issue 12: NHS 111 Directory of Services (4th April 2017)
- Issue 11 : NUMSAS gateway (29th March 2017)
- Issue 10: Dementia Friends (21st March 2017)
- Issue 9: Written patient safety reports (14th March 2017)
- Issue 8: Patient survey & NHS Choices (7th March 2017)
- Issue 7: Safeguarding Level 2 (28th Feb 2017)
- Issue 6: Asthma referrals (21st Feb 2017)
- Issue 5: MURs to help meet gateway criteria (14th Feb 2016). Watch our MURs film.
- Issue 4: Gateway criteria (7th Feb 2016). Watch our gateway criteria film.
- Issue 3: Summary Care Records (31st Jan 2017). Watch our Summary Care Records film.
- Issue 2: Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1 (24th Jan 2017)
- Issue 1: NHSmail (17th Jan 2017). Watch our NHSmail film.
Additional April 2017 resources
- Guide explaining what you need to do when, and including links to key documents and resources.
- Quality Payments on a page – one-page summary showing what points and payments are available when.
- Checklist and suggested action plan
- Webinar recording: The Ultimate Guide to Quality Payments (listen by clicking the link to register)