NOTE: The claims deadline for February 2019’s Quality Payments was Friday 1st March 2019. We will update these pages as soon as we know whether there will be a Quality Payments scheme in 2019/20. In the meantime, these pages are here for archive purposes.
Points available: 2.5 points (£80-£160) available.
- On 15th February 2019, 80% of patient-facing staff must be registered Dementia Friends.
- The 80% is based on headcount, not full-time equivalents, and includes locums and delivery drivers.
- Make sure that 80% of current staff (including locums) are Dementia Friends, if you have had staff changes since June 2018.
- Keep evidence in the pharmacy of staff registered as Dementia Friends and when they became Dementia Friends. You can use this PSNC template but if you need to register new staff you may find it easier to follow the organisation route below.
How to become a Dementia Friend
There are several ways to become a Dementia Friend and most pharmacy staff now have already registered. From a pharmacy’s perspective, the best way is to register as an organisation so staff’s Dementia Friends registration is linked to your pharmacy.
Pharmacies that are not already registered with Dementia Friends:
- If your pharmacy is not already registered with Dementia Friends, you can register here. (Note: Only one person from the pharmacy should register it.)
- Within a week, you’ll receive an email with your pharmacy’s Dementia Friends code – this lets you log into a dashboard to manage staff registrations.
Pharmacy staff/locums registering via your organisation:
- Staff and locums can register as Dementia Friends linked to your pharmacy by clicking here. Enter your pharmacy’s Dementia Friends code, the number of people watching the videos and the postcode. Each person needs to watch the introductory film and at least one of the other films.
- The pharmacy member who is Admin for your Dementia Friends dashboard can see which staff have completed registration.
- Contractors should then order Dementia Badges for all staff who have registered. Email email@example.com with your organisation’s Dementia Friends code, the number of staff who need badges, and the postal address. Keep a copy of the email as evidence.
Locums not linked to a particular pharmacy:
Locums can become Dementia Friends by registering themselves as a pharmacy organisation using their name and the words pharmacy locum e.g. ‘Jane Smith Pharmacy Locum’. Click here and follow the instructions – you will also need to watch the Dementia Friends videos, as above, and keep evidence you are a Dementia Friend.
Registering at face-to-face Dementia Friends sessions:
You can also become a Dementia Friend at face-to-face sessions. Many provide certificates of attendance and it’s a good idea to attend one even if you’ve already registered online, as you’ll get a much deeper understanding. You can find details of local sessions here.
Dementia awareness in your pharmacy
Our website has loads of guidance to help your pharmacy become more dementia-friendly and support patients/customers with dementia, including local signposting to services and support in many parts of Greater Manchester. The Greater Manchester Dementia-Friendly Pharmacy Framework sets out easy-to-follow steps to make your pharmacy environment and as dementia-friendly as possible. We’re encouraging all pharmacies to sign up.
Full guidance from NHS England
This tip-sheet is just a summary. You must also read the full NHS England guidance to make sure you meet the Quality Payments criteria. There are 3 key documents:
- Updated guidance for February 2019
- Gateway Criteria Guidance
- Quality Criteria Guidance