Flu Vaccination Service
Flu Vaccination Service
The 2017/18 Flu Vaccination Service has now ended. Further details on the 2018/19 Flu Vaccination Service will be issued in due course.
On 20th July 2015, PSNC announced that as part of the 2015/16 community pharmacy funding settlement NHS England had agreed to allow community pharmacies in England to offer a seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination service for patients in at-risk groups. This service is the fifth Advanced Service in the English Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework (CPCF) and provision of the service commenced from 16th September 2015.
Flu Vaccination Service 2018/19
PSNC has received several queries from pharmacy contractors and LPCs on the training requirements for the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Advanced Service and whether the revised National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training for Registered Healthcare Practitioners which were published by Public Health England (PHE) in February 2018 will change the requirements. PSNC has published Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) which address the issues raised with PSNC.
On 5th February 2018, NHS England issued a letter to all community pharmacies and general practices giving final advice on ordering flu vaccine for the 2018/19 season.
The guidance, in a letter from NHS England’s National Medical Director and Director of Primary Care, and Public Health England’s Medical Director asks GPs and community pharmacy contractors to ensure their influenza vaccine orders for the 2018/19 season use the most effective vaccines for the population.
The letter says the clinical evidence is clear that for the 2018-19 winter season, GP practices and pharmacy contractors should offer:
- The adjuvanted trivalent vaccine (aTIV) for all 65s and over; and
- The quadrivalent vaccine (QIV) for people in the 18 to under 65s at risk group.
The letter also states that:
- GPs and pharmacy contractors should review all orders (provisional and firm) for the 2018/19 season and ensure these are in line with the evidence-based clinical view;
- Vaccine suppliers have confirmed that there will be enough adjuvanted trivalent vaccine and quadrivalent influenza vaccine to meet demand;
- Orders for these vaccines will need to be placed by 12th April 2018;
- There is no change to the way in which contractors will be reimbursed for vaccines administered – the system will be the same as for the current 2017/18 service; and
- If pharmacy contractors encounter any difficulties from a manufacturer placing or amending an order, they should advise their local NHS England team.
The letter also contains the answers to a number of frequently asked questions, including on changing or switching vaccine orders.
Click on a heading below for more information.
Pharmacists and contractors practising in Wales should visit the Community Pharmacy Wales website for information on flu vaccination services in Wales.