Services Database Community Pharmacy Immunisation – Fluenz/Nasal flu vaccine 2016/17
Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust provides a school aged immunisation service offering a variety of vaccines including Fluenz/nasal vaccine to all children in school years 1-6 across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. There are occasions where children, whose parents have consented, are not able to have the vaccine on the day of the school visit. The most common reasons are temporary exclusions (e.g. severely blocked nose, fever and wheeze) or the patient is not in school on the day of the visit.
Aims of the service:
- pilot the administration of Fluenz/Flumist vaccine via community pharmacy for those who missed their opportunity in school;
- prevent transmission and reduce complications of the ‘flu within the community;
- maximise uptake of Fluenz/Flumist;
- provide patients and parents with another opportunity to receive the Fluenz/Flumist; and
- provide a service that is accessible, convenient, professional and friendly.
Location of service
Leicestershire & Rutland LPC
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Seasonal influenza vaccination
Other organisations involved
Start date: 01/10/2016
End date: 31/03/2017
- Be accredited and delivering the national flu service (implicit within this is up-to-date with training for the management of anaphylaxis, Basic Life Support and availability of adrenaline);
- have completed the declaration of competence for the national flu service on the CPPE;
- have completed the Fluenz accredited training; and
- be aware of the cautions and contra-indications for administering Fluenz/Flumist on the day (regardless of the authorisation).