Services Database Emergency Hormonal Contraception (Shropshire Area)
Accredited pharmacists will offer a free to the client patient focused easily accessible non-judgmental and confidential service to supply levonorgestrel emergency hormonal contraception (EHC) to clients aged 25 years and under when appropriate, in line with the requirements of a locally agreed Patient Group Direction (PGD).
Verbal and written advice on the avoidance of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and the use of regular contraceptive methods, including advice on the use of condoms, should be provided to the client. Where appropriate this should be supplemented by referral to a service that can provide treatment and further advice and care.
Location of service
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Emergency hormonal contraception
Other organisations involved
To achieve accreditation pharmacists must:
- complete the current EHC learning pack from the Centre of Pharmacy Postgraduate Education;
- have a clear understanding of the Fraser guidelines;
- have a clear understanding of child protection guidance;
- declare personal competence and understanding of PGD; and
- attend an EHC via PGD training session.