Services Database Contraception Through Community Pharmacy (South Tyneside Area)
The Service will be available to all patients within South Tyneside in accordance with equality and diversity legislation.
The service is to be delivered by accredited Community Pharmacists, free of charge to the patient, according to the approved STFT Patient Group Direction (STFT PGD)
The term pharmacist refers to pharmacists registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council to practice in Great Britain and providing the service on behalf of a contracted provider.
The service is to provide an Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) Service involving the supply of Levonelle 1500 Hormonal Contraception (Levonorgestrel 1.5mg tablet) and signpost/advice on sexual health services
Location of service
Gateshead & South Tyneside LPC
Other: South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Emergency hormonal contraception
Other organisations involved
Accreditation of pharmacists is conditional on the following:
- Completion of Centre for Pharmacy Postgraduate Education (CPPE) in:
- Emergency Hormonal Contraception
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults (Local STFT training will also be acceptable)
- Attendance at a local STFT EHC training event every three years (On a case by case basis, the STFT may accept evidence of training carried out in other local STFTs)
- Signing of the Contract (Contractor) and EHC Patient Group Direction (Pharmacist)
This service is available in the South Tyneside area only.