Services Database Emergency Hormonal Contraception (Wirral Area)
To enable any suitable clients to be prescribed free emergency hormonal contraception (EHC) under a Patient Group Direction (PGD). Levonorgestrel can be supplied under the PGD.
This service also covers the following:
- Verbal and written advice on the avoidance of sexually transmitted infections and the use of regular contraceptive methods, safer sex and the use of condoms.
- Clients aged 15 to 24 should be advised of the rise in chlamydia infection and advised to have a chlamydia test on an annual basis or whenever they change their partner. Clients within the 15-24 year old age group are to be encouraged to take a chlamydia test. Clients should be signposted to SexualHealthWirral, their school nurse, or their GP.
- The service provider is required to give appropriate health promotion material to clients and three free condoms, (provided by Public Health), and actively promote uptake and is able to discuss the contents of the material with the client.
Location of service
Cheshire & Wirral LPC
Local Authority (LA)
Method of commissioning
Local Authority contract
Source of funding
Local Authority (LA)
Emergency hormonal contraception
Other organisations involved
Sexual Health Wirral
The Pharmacist must have achieved the competency levels specified in the Harmonisation of Accreditation (HAG) Group, they must:
- have completed the following Continuing Pharmacy Post Graduate Education (CPPE) open learning packs:
- Safeguarding: a guide for the pharmacy team
- Emergency Hormonal Contraception;
- undertake specific training and assessment by a Community Sexual and Reproductive Health Doctor and be deemed competent for this delegated duty. The accredited pharmacist will retain all training documentation;
- provide a regular “self assessment declaration of competency” every three years or sooner if deemed appropriate, as arranged by the commissioning organisation; and
- undertake appropriate training for working under PGDs for the supply and administration of medicines.
This service is available in the Wirral area only