Services Database Healthcare Workers Influenza Immunisation in Community Pharmacies 2016-17
The pharmacist will be accredited to administer the influenza immunisation for employees of Somerset County Council who have been identified by the employer as eligible to receive such service and have been given a voucher by their manager.
The aims of the service are to:
- increase the uptake of the influenza vaccination for staff who work with vulnerable/ at risk service users;
- reduce the morbidity and mortality of influenza by immunising those who care for individuals who are most likely to have a serious or complicated illness should they develop influenza;
- supports the National Seasonal Influenza Immunisation Programme by fulfilling the responsibility of employers to ensure all frontline health and social care workers are offered a free influenza vaccination;
- promote awareness of other national vaccination programmes; and
- improve public health by decreasing infection across the Somerset population.
Location of service
Local Authority (LA)
Method of commissioning
Local Authority contract
Source of funding
Local Authority (LA)
Seasonal influenza vaccination
Other organisations involved
Start date: 01/10/2016
End date: 28/02/2017
Pharmacists providing this service must :
- have successfully completed training that meets the requirements of the Health Protection Agency Core Curriculum (2005) to include vaccine preventable diseases, cold chain requirements, intramuscular immunisation technique, use of PGD’s and specifically flu vaccine administration. A face to face or e-learning package must have been completed within the last 12 months. Documentary evidence of training within the last 12 months must be available; and
- be trained in the management of emergency life support and anaphylaxis training with all relevant equipment and medicines necessary to provide this treatment. A face to face or e-learning package must have been completed within the last 12 months. Documentary evidence of anaphylaxis training within the last 12 months must be available.