Services Database Inhaler Technique Improvement Project (4 LPCs involved)
Please note this project took place across the South Central region between April 2011 and June 2012. Therefore, the following LPCs had the same inhaler technique project in their areas:
- Hampshire & Isle of Wight LPC;
- Northamptonshire & Milton Keynes LPC; and
- Thames Valley LPC
The service has only been added onto the Services Database under this entry to avoid duplication.
The original project had five main objectives:
- roll out of access to inhaler training for inhaler users in all Primary Care Trusts across South Central region;
- training of healthcare professionals;
- development of quality standards and an exemplar service specification;
- ensure measurement of success / deliverables; and
- build in sustainability strategies beyond the project phase.
The Inhaler Technique Improvement Project, which enabled community pharmacists in the South of England to conduct MURs with people on asthma and COPD medication, has been shown to help patients gain more control of their condition. During these reviews pharmacists tested how well peoples’ conditions were being managed and gave specialist asthma inhaler advice, using innovative training devices to help people to make sure they were using their inhalers correctly.
Location of service
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Other organisations involved
Start date: 01/04/2011
End date: 30/06/2012
This project was provided across the South Central area.