Services Database NHS Health Checks Service (Gateshead Area)
The NHS Health Check Programme aims to improve health and wellbeing of adults aged 40-74 years through the promotion of earlier awareness, assessment, and management of the major risk factors and conditions driving premature death, disability and health inequalities in England.
Location of service
Gateshead & South Tyneside LPC
Local Authority (LA)
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Local Authority (LA)
NHS Health Check
Other organisations involved
All providers delivering NHS Health Checks must:
- Identify the Pharmacist/Pharmacy Manager as the person who has overall responsibility for ensuring that the service is delivered in accordance with this specification.
- Be able to demonstrate that the pharmacy staff who wish to participate in the delivery of this service achieve and maintain appropriate clinical competence and that they have undertaken suitable education and training. The competency framework and learner and assessor workbooks can be used to record evidence and can be accessed here http://www.healthcheck.nhs.uk/commissioners_and_providers/training/competence_framework_supporting_workbooks/
- Be familiar with the NHS Health Check Best Practice Guidance (March 2016) http://www.healthcheck.nhs.uk/commissioners_and_providers/guidance/
- Undertake the mandatory training prior to delivering NHS Health Checks, and undertake an annual update. It is the provider’s responsibility to arrange POCT training with their equipment/consumables provider.
- All staff delivering NHS Health Checks must have received training to do so. Please contact Angela Hannant (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information
The national NHS Health Check team has developed several videos to help train people who carry out NHS Health Checks http://www.healthcheck.nhs.uk/commissioners_and_providers/training/training_videos1/
On the NHS Health Check Website, there are also some e-learning packages http://www.healthcheck.nhs.uk/commissioners_and_providers/training/elearning_resources1/
Providers should access the Web-based NHS Health Check dementia training tool (dementia awareness training). It is aimed at those individuals providing the NHS Health Check and includes a self-assessment section which will then provide a certificate of completion. The NHS Health Check dementia leaflet has been developed to support the dementia information and should be given to those aged 65-74 years of age during their appointment. These leaflets are available to order free of charge in a variety of formats and languages through the Department of Health order line
This service is available in the Gateshead area only.