Services Database SIMPLE COPD Service
To improve the overall management of people with COPD by promoting a system of care that integrates the community pharmacist into the healthcare team and improves medicine optimisation.
The service consists of three consultations:
Pharmacist consultation 1
Following recruitment of the patient into the service, the pharmacist should conduct the first consultation consisting of:
- a targeted MUR if the patient is eligible (see relevant MUR SP for details);
- a SIMPLE COPD consultation consisting of the following elements;
- stop smoking support (refer/offer NRT if appropriate);
- inhaler technique ‐ observe and optimise;
- monitor – record MRC dyspnoea score, COPD Assessment test (CAT) score and self-reported COPD exacerbation information;
- pharmacotherapy ‐ review and optimise medicines and give information to person on appropriate use;
- lifestyle ‐ consider factors (BMI, exercise, vaccinations, rehabilitation); and
- education ‐ provide self-management advice and information on COPD.
Following the initial consultation, the pharmacist or pharmacy staff member will need to review and document patient adherence to respiratory medicines for a six month period immediately prior to their recruitment date.
Pharmacist consultation 2
A follow up SIMPLE COPD consultation will need to be completed two months after the initial pharmacist consultation.
Pharmacist consultation 3
This will be conducted six months after the initial pharmacist consultation and will consist of:
- recording CAT score, MRC dyspnoea score and self-reported exacerbation/hospital admission data;
- contacting the patient's GP practice to confirm hospital admission data; and
- documenting patient adherence to respiratory medicines over the last six months.
Location of service
Leicestershire & Rutland LPC
Other: Almirall Ltd
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Other organisations involved
Pharmacists who provided this service should have attended the SIMPLE COPD training event.