Services Database Specialised, Enhanced Sexual Health Service (Community Pharmacy)
This service incorporated emergency hormonal contraception (EHC), chlamydia screening, treatment, partner notification, clinic referral and initiation of long acting reversible contraception (LARC).
Clients were able to attend solely to request initiation of LARC and/or for chlamydia screening and treatment.
This service is currently not being commissioned.
Location of service
North of Tyne LPC
Other: PCT (historical)
Method of commissioning
Source of funding
Other organisations involved
Start date: 16/08/2011
The pharmacy needed to employ one or more pharmacists or locum pharmacist who had completed the NHS North of Tyne training programme and were authorised to undertake this specialised, enhanced sexual health service.
Authorisation was conditional on the following:
- Securing an honorary contract with Northumberland Care Trust;
- Completion of the relevant CPPE training packs;
- Annual attendance at the mandatory Northumberland Care Trust Cardio-pulmonary and Resuscitation training session;
- Successful completion of the Carlton Street practical initial training and annual follow up training sessions;
- Attendance at the evening theory training session;
- Commitment to ensure continuous professional development pertaining to EHC and LARC, e.g. attendance at a local fitters forum or event;
- Signing of the Service Level Agreement and EHC and LARC Patient Group Directions; and
- CRB check within previous three years.
This service was running in four pharmacies in the Newcastle area - it is not currently commissioned.