It is important that you keep up to date with the rapidly changing environment at this time. Public Health England, the Department of Health and PSNC have developed a range of resources to support community pharmacy and the wider health care system that the whole pharmacy team should be aware of.
Please ask the LPC for support when needed and report immediately any changes to period of treatment on prescriptions, or any incidents, especially where pharmacy teams may be being put at unnecessary risk.
Covid-19 testing for community pharmacy key workers
Please see our COVID-19 testing page for further details.
National Pandemic Delivery Service
In a letter published on Friday 10th April NHSE&I launched the Community Pharmacy Pandemic Delivery Service and associated changes to the Terms of Service for shielded patients.
The service consists of two parts: one essential service and one advanced service.
Full details can be found on the PSNC website.
The key resources can be accessed here and we will continue to signpost to them as a primary resource:
- Updated: NHSE&I – Read the latest letter to community pharmacy from Keith Ridge here (Last updated 10.4.20)
- New: Pharmacy Pandemic Delivery Service Letter & PSNC Pandemic Delivery Service Guidance
- Safe Handling of Controlled Drugs Letter
- Community pharmacy letter to support health and justice services
- PSNC Network Resilience Page
- SOP for community pharmacy this includes information regarding closed door policies and temporary closures
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for employees, employers and businesses
- Key worker Guidance for schools and a template letter for staff to use can be downloaded here
- PSNC’s COVID-19 page which collates all of the current information and resources for community pharmacy contractors and their teams in a single place
- PHE – Access PHE resources here
- GOV.UK – For the latest government advice for health professionals
- GPHC – The latest news, including support and regulatory support can be accessed here
- RPS – For news and support visit the RPS website
- See the latest update regarding PPE from PSNC
Keep an eye on your NHSmail shared mailbox on a regular basis for updates from the NHS E&I local area team leads
What is your LPC doing?
- Working with LPCs across the region to ensure maximum support to contractors
- Ensuring you are provided with the most up to date information
- Updating the LPC business continuity plans to ensure you are fully supported over the coming months
- Raising concerns with PSNC, NHSE and other relevant bodies
- Meeting with local health providers (CCG, Local Authority, Drug Service, Area Team) to ensure community pharmacy is considered in local planning arrangements and to allow us to feedback concerns
Availability and use of PPE
The LPC has received a number of queries regarding the use and availability of PPE.
In the event that stocks are not available through the national supply route please see details of the of the Local Resilience Forum in the Covid update from 4th May.
Changes to prescribing by Dental Practices
Please download this letter to see the recommendations made to Dentists across Greater Manchester with regard to prescribing during the pandemic.
Pharmacy Hygiene Measures
The simplest way to prevent onward transmission of the virus is good hygiene. You must ensure that:
- You wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water.
- You use a disposable tissue to catch a cough or sneeze, immediately discard it into the waste bin and wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- You must ensure waste from the waste bin is disposed of in a bin liner which is tied to prevent waste spilling out. Wash your hands with soap and warm water after disposing of waste bags.
- You must clean surfaces which have had patient contact more regularly throughout the day using an appropriate sanitiser/ disinfectant/ alcohol surface wipes.
Use the Catch It, Bin It, Kill It Poster linked below.
Local Signposting Resources
Local Signposting Resources
Healthwatch Bolton have collated a range of local and national signposting information which you may find useful.
Visit their website for further information.
The LPC has developed a range of posters that you may wish to use in your pharmacy over the coming weeks:
If you are part of a multiple group please seek the permission of you area manager before using.
National Posters & Leaflets
Download the latest posters for outside the pharmacy from PHE. (Please note these posters are being updated reguarly)
LPC COVID-19 Updates
Please access your shared mailbox for the regular updates from the LPC.