Guidance on Management of Repeat Prescription Ordering
The Guidance has been agreed jointly between the LPC and the CCG.
In addtion to the guidance, if you order prescription on behalf of patients the LPC recommend the following
- every staff member to be aware of the C&H Guidance on Managing Repeat Prescriptions and follow it
- every request for a prescription to be signed and dated by the patient OR
- for requests made by the patient over the phone, every request to be signed and dated by the pharmacist OR
- for request made for MCS patients, every request to be signed and dated by pharmacist confirming that the SCR was viewed.
- ideally whenever possible to use SCR (Summary Care Record) for every request for repeat prescription. This recommendation will require a huge increase in resources and will take time for the relevant staff to be authorised to use SCR, but this is high quality clinical governance.
- update your SOP with the recommendations and train all staff on it.