Data Security and Protection Toolkit
Published on: 6th December 2019 | Updated on: 30th June 2022
The deadline for community pharmacy contractors to complete the Data Security and Protection Toolkit for 2021/22 is TODAY (30th June 2022).
Click on a heading below for more information
Community pharmacy contractors can now access a recording of PSNC’s recent online workshop about the DSPTK.
Around 500 people registered for this week’s workshop which provided contractors with support in using the Toolkit.
During the webinar, representatives from PSNC and NHS Digital provided guidance on completing the Toolkit, gave a demonstration of how to use and navigate the Toolkit, and answered viewers’ questions on how to make the data security declaration.
With contractors required to finalise their pharmacy’s Toolkit submission by 30th June 2022, this webinar provides the perfect opportunity to make good headway in its completion.
Some of the feedback we have received so far:
“Thanks for your support and guidance, the explanations and tips for competing the DSPTK have been very useful – yet again.”
“Excellent presentation. Good links to relevant PSNC Factsheets etc.”
*Please note, to watch the recording, you will need to register (or input the email address you registered with previously).
Numerous resources were mentioned during the workshop, below is a list of them:
- (the section above on this webpage)
- PSNC’s Data security hub: PSNC’s one-stop shop for all things related to data security, including guidance on completing the new Toolkit.
2020/21 Toolkit and guidance (last year’s)
The submission period Toolkit submission was from Winter 2020 until June 30th 2021.
April 2022 update: Related guidance has been superseded and the older version of the Toolkit can no longer be published
The final deadline for completing the mandatory questions was re-scheduled from March 31st 2020 to September 30th 2020. Related guidance has been superceded and the older version of the Toolkit can no longer be published
2019/20 Toolkit webinar
In 2020, PSNC and NHS Digital presented a webinar to support Toolkit completion. An on-demand version of the webinar is available via the link above.
The Toolkit includes some technical questions which you may need the assistance of your PMR supplier to answer. Some PMR suppliers will provide information to support your completion of the technical questions via a guidance document or via their helpdesk.
Alternatively, some PMR suppliers have chosen to utilise the Toolkit PMR feature. This feature involves your PMR supplier setting up an email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) that they share with customers and this is then entered by the contractor within the ‘Admin’>’User List’ section of the Toolkit (the email address can be added as a ‘Member’). This then allows information supplied by your PMR supplier to be bulk-inserted for the mandatory technical questions within the Toolkit.
The bulk upload of information is likely to be at a pre-set time which your PMR supplier will advise you of. Once the information has been uploaded, you will be able to add or amend the answers entered by your PMR supplier if necessary. Your supplier, as a ‘Member’ within the Toolkit, will technically be able to see your answers to all the questions.
The Toolkit contains functionality to allow pharmacy contractors with three or more pharmacies to complete a bulk submission of assessments on behalf of its branches. If this functionality is of interest to a contractor, they should first read:
These documents explain how to request the feature is set-up for you.
When you log in to the Toolkit as a Parent Organisation HQ organisation (with HQ Parent Organisation Code), you will be able to complete your assessment, review your list of branches and publish your Toolkit assessment for your branches. Your HQ’s branch list has been populated from data held by the ODS team. If your list is not accurate, please raise a support call with the Exeter Helpdesk.
Related topics from within PSNC’s Data Security and IG hub are:
- Access control methods (e.g. passwords)
- Cyber and technical security advice about how to prevent and deal with data and cyber issues
- Data handling, record keeping and disposal
- Data quality
- DSPTK FAQS factsheet (or webpage)
- DSPTK HQ batch submission feature (step-by-step guide)
- DSPTK HQ batch submission feature (factsheet)
- GDPR and workbook
- Fax usage
- Mobile messaging
- Mobile device usage and ‘bring your own device’ policy
- National data opt-out system for patients (for data processing for planning/research)
- NHS login – an authentication system for patients (used by NHS App and other apps) to reduce the number of logins/accounts needed by patients
- NHS Identity (authentication for health and care professionals)
- Roles (e.g. IG lead)
- System settings and IT updates
- Ten steps to help improve data and cyber security within your pharmacy (factsheet)
- Top tips and case studies
- Video conferencing and video consultations
- Windows 10 versions end-of-support transition guidance
If you have queries about this webpage, please contact email@example.com
For more information on this topic please email firstname.lastname@example.org