Gloucestershire Making Every Contact Count (MECC) Programme
Tuesday, 8 July, 2014 09:30-16:30
To book your free place email firstname.lastname@example.org
Every day, Pharmacy Staff have numerous interactions with local people dealing with all sorts of issues and challenges.
Making Every Contact Count (MECC) is about taking these daily interactions as an opportunity to make a difference to peoples’ health and wellbeing. We can’t make people change, but if we all take the opportunities to have a brief chat with people, we will gradually increase people’s confidence and motivation to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Who is this for?
A free training day is now available for Pharmacy Counter Staff that want to join MECC. The session will equip participants with the specific skills that will enable them to deliver MECC confidently and consistently well. At the end of the session, participants should be able to:
Understand the importance of healthy lifestyle choices and their role in health improvement;
- Identify key messages (on smoking, healthy eating/healthy weight, responsible drinking, physical activity, and mental health and emotional wellbeing);
- Use communication skills that will enable them to raise an issue, open up a conversation and assess a person’s readiness to change the health-related behaviour;
- Use a range of health behaviour change techniques (including basic motivational interviewing techniques);
- Deliver brief advice and brief interventions;
- Signpost clients to local healthy lifestyle services & support; and
- Feel confident that they can apply the training in practice.
NB: These are skills that support the Healthy Living Pharmacy programme, and will enable non-HLC counter staff to add value to over the counter conversations. Please do not enroll staff who are already HLC trained.
Please contact our training provider Project Manager:
Mike Hope | email@example.com | 07941 401 699
Limited places please book early