NHS Service Finder
The NHS Service Finder is a free online search tool which provides access to information from the Directory of Services (DoS) and nhs.uk.
The service finder allows pharmacy team members and other healthcare professionals to search for service information quickly, allowing a patient to be signposted to the most appropriate service for their needs. It also enables you to look-up non-public telephone numbers (where available) for listed services, such as general practices.
This tool is currently not available to the public.
Creating an account:
To sign up for access and create an account, please click here. It is advised to use an NHSmail email address.
- One-page factsheet: Using NHS Service Finder IT
- Poster for pharmacy staff: NHS Service Finder Poster
The team behind the NHS Service Finder produced a YouTube video aimed at healthcare professionals explaining why they should make use of the tool. The video is narrated by several NHS Service Finder users including pharmacy dispenser, Sarah Davis. Watch the video here.
Top tips for using the tool:
- Sign-up now and bookmark the webpage (https://finder.directoryofservices.nhs.uk/) so you can return to it quickly.
- Look-up GP practices to identify their non-public numbers when clinically appropriate and necessary – using the ‘Contact Details Search’ option.
- Use NHS Service Finder to text or email an patient with details of an organisation you are referring them to. Maps and directions with transport and route options can help you advise the patient how best to get to the service.
- Introduce the rest of team including locums to the tool so that the whole team can identify the services available within the area.
Please click here to access the NHS service finder FAQ’s
NHS Service Finder Tool – New Improvements
NHS Digital has introduced improvements to their NHS Service Finder online search tool. The NHS Service Finder is a free tool that provides access to information from the Directory of Services (DoS) and the NHS website. The tool’s purpose is to allow pharmacy teams and other healthcare professionals to search for service information quickly, thereby making it easier to signpost patients to the correct service.
The latest changes to the NHS Service Finder include:
- A restyling of the search results list;
- A restyling of the service details to make them more navigable and consistent; and
- A new function to enable users to filter search results by type and opening hours.
Following these, and other changes, it is predicted that searches using the NHS Service Finder tool will be up to 30% faster.
Learn more about the service finder enhancements here.