This section contains information specific to the Manchester locality, including locally-commissioned services, the Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment, local health profile (compared with national public health data), Joint Strategic Needs Assessment and the locality plan.
GM LPC Manchester Locality Lead
Jennie Watson is the GM LPC Locality Lead for Manchester.
Manchester news & alerts
Good progress with North Manchester eRD pilot
North Manchester pharmacies and GP practices have been piloting electronic repeat dispensing. Read the evaluation here.
EPS2 now in 100% of GP practices
Dr Chiu Practice (P84611) and Dr Ngan (P840005) from Central Manchester CCG both go live with EPS2 on 28th and 29th June respectively – this will bring Manchester to 100% EPS2. Borchardt Medical Centre (P84010) has additional training on 21st June to enable the staff on site to use the EPS2 functionality.
Please be aware of 3 recent changes in Manchester’s Safeguarding Children’s process (March 2017):
- Safeguarding Children’s Referral Form: The children’s safeguarding referral form has been updated. Please ensure you delete the old one if you have saved a copy. This is the new one, along with guidance to support completion of this referral form.
- Early Help Hubs Referral Form: There is a now a new referral form to be used when referring families for Early Help in Manchester. This is designed mainly for GP practices but may be of relevance.
- Manchester’s Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) is now operating a consultation line for partner agencies to call – the new number is 0161 219 2895. This will enable agencies prior to considering making a referral to discuss any concerns they may have for a child with a senior social worker within the MASH . The social worker will reference the Levels of Need Framework and, where the threshold for social work intervention is not met, the social worker will be able to have an informed discussion with the referrer and, where appropriate, advise that an Early Help Assessment is undertaken or direct the professional to the local Early Help Hub.
Manchester Area Prescribing
Preferred medicine brands for Manchester: This summary explains which branded generics are the preferred options in Manchester.
Blood Glucose Meters: There has been a formulary update for type 2 diabetes patients only. This recommends that patients are switched to the following meters once they have used up their current stocks of strips:
- LifeScan – One Touch Select Plus
- Roche – Accu-check Performa Nano
- Ascensia – Contour Black Edition
Seven-day Prescriptions: The Manchester CCGs ‘7 day’ prescription policy is now available.
Kwells: As you’re probably aware there are supply issues with Kwells. Our mental health team often prescribe these for patients on Clozapine. If you have patients that you can’t supply to, please contact the prescriber who will prescribe an alternative.
As you’re probably aware, CCG areas are split into neighbourhoods. Central Manchester has regular neighbourhood meetings. They are during the day and unfunded but if your pharmacy is in the patch and you’d like to attend, please contact the GM LPC Manchester Locality Lead, Jennie Watson, at JWatson3@uclan.ac.uk for more details. Two patches are covered in each meeting – Gorton/Levenshulme and Ardwick/Longsight.
Manchester Health & Care Commissioning – Manchester now has a single commissioner for health and social care. It was created on 1 April 29017 when the three CCGs joined forces with Manchester City Council.
Children’s Community Nursing Team – support for children with health conditions
Manchester City Council Health and Wellbeing site – Useful for signposting