Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1
THIS PAGE WILL BE UPDATED WITH GUIDANCE FOR FEBRUARY 2019’S QUALITY PAYMENTS.
It has now been announced that Quality Payments have been extended and the next review date will be 15th February 2019. These pages are being updated. The information below relates to the June 2018 Quality Payments and is not current guidance.
Note: The information on this page is a summary of the requirements for June 2018’s Quality Payments. We strongly advise pharmacies to read the full NHS England guidance as well – there are links at the end of this page. Download this page as a PDF.
Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1
Points available: 20 points (£640-£1,280) available.
Your pharmacy must have achieved HLP Level 1 by 23.59 on Friday 29th June with appropriate evidence of this, depending on when and how you achieved HLP Level 1 status. The validation requirements for demonstrating your HLP Level 1 status have changed since 2017 – please check the requirements for your pharmacy so you don’t miss out.
Make sure you have the required evidence – this varies, depending on when you achieved HLP Level 1 status. It can take up to 10 working days if you need to register on the RSPH website, so make sure you leave enough time.
Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 through local schemes between 30th June 2016 and 29th June 2018
- Some areas run local accreditation. If you achieved HLP Level 1 through a local scheme like that between 30th June 2016 and 29th June 2018, you just need signed and dated documentation showing that.
Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 before 30th June 2016
- Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 through local schemes before 30th June 2016 must complete a self-assessment of compliance showing you meet the requirements of HLP as set out by Public Health England, and keep a copy in the pharmacy.
- You must also have signed and dated documentation showing when you achieved HLP Level 1.
All other pharmacies – including those now achieving HLP Level 1 in Greater Manchester
- All other pharmacies must appear on the Royal Society for Public Health HLP register on 29th June 2018 to qualify for this Quality Payment. It can take up to 10 working days for your registration to appear on the RSPH website and you will not qualify for Quality Payments until then. If you achieved HLP Level 1 after 30th June 2016, and are not already on the RSPH register, we strongly advise completing the registration at least 10 working days before 29th June, to show you meet the HLP requirements set out by Public Health England.
It is unclear whether distance-selling pharmacies can achieve HLP level 1. The requirements were designed for bricks-and-mortar pharmacies.
Achieving HLP Level 1 status
- At least one pharmacist must have completed HLP Leadership training.
- At least one full-time-equivalent member of staff must have completed Health Champions training accredited as Level 2 Royal Society for Public Health.
- Your pharmacy must meet the requirements for Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1, as set out by Public Health England. These include: providing NMA and MUR, providing flu vaccinations, having had health conversations with patients/customers in the last year, and compliance with the pharmacy contract and standards for premises.
- You must complete the RSPH self-assessment and registration process (see below).
Checklists & tools
There are also lots of tools to help you record progress towards achieving HLP Level 1 status. The PSNC website has checklists, flowcharts, evidence portfolios and more (under ‘How to qualify’). PharmOutcomes also has a HLP module.
Full guidance from NHS England
This tip-sheet is just a summary. You must also read the full NHS England guidance to make sure you meet the Quality Payments criteria. There are 3 key documents:
- Updated guidance for June 2018
- Gateway Criteria Guidance
- Quality Criteria Guidance