Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1
The Quality Payments scheme for 2017/18 has now ended. We will update this section when we receive information about the final outcome and plans for any future Quality Payments.
Note: The information on this page is a summary of the requirements. We strongly advise pharmacies to read the full NHS England guidance as well – there are links at the end of this page.
Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1
Points available: 20 points (£1,280) available once a year. You can claim in November if you did not receive this payment in April and meet the criteria.
You must be a HLP Level 1 pharmacy by 23.59 on Friday 24th and have appropriate evidence of this, depending on when and how you achieved HLP Level 1 status.
If you have just achieved HLP Level 1, we strongly advise you to register with the Royal Society for Public Health at least 10 working days before 23.59 on Friday 24th November (i.e. by Friday 10th November), so that RSPH can process your registration before the Quality Payments review date.
Evidence required & claims process
- Make the relevant declaration in your NHS BSA Quality Payments submission.
- Ensure you have the necessary evidence including training certificates.
- Most pharmacies must be listed on the RSPH register on 24th November to qualify. This can take 10 working days after registration so make sure you leave enough time.
Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 through local schemes after 1st December 2014
Some areas run local accreditation. If you achieved HLP Level 1 this way after 1st December 2014, you just need signed and dated documentation showing that.
Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 before 1st December 2014
- Pharmacies that achieved HLP Level 1 through local schemes before 1st December 2014 must have signed and dated documentation showing this.
- You also need to complete the professional self-assessment at the end of the Public Health England guidance.
All other pharmacies – including those now achieving HLP Level 1 in Greater Manchester
All other pharmacies must appear on the Royal Society for Public Health HLP register on 24th November to qualify for this Quality Payment. You are strongly advised to register at least 10 working days beforehand (i.e. by Friday 10th November).
It is unclear whether distance-selling pharmacies can achieve HLP level 1. The requirements were designed for bricks-and-mortar pharmacies.
Achieving HLP Level 1 status
- At least one pharmacist must have completed HLP Leadership training.
- At least one full-time-equivalent member of staff must have completed Health Champions training accredited as Level 2 Royal Society for Public Health. [We have FREE places on 7th-8th November in Tameside. Book here.]
- Your pharmacy must meet the requirements for Healthy Living Pharmacy Level 1, as set out by Public Health England. These include: providing NMA and MUR, providing flu vaccinations, having had health conversations with patients/customers in the last year, and compliance with the pharmacy contract and standards for premises.
- You must complete the RSPH self-assessment and registration process (see below).
Checklists & tools – including our HLP webinar
TOP TIP: Our HLP webinar is a great guide to achieving and delivering HLP in your pharmacy. There are also lots of tools to help you record progress towards meeting the PHE requirements and achieving HLP Level 1 status. These include:
Registering achievement of HLP Level 1
Your pharmacy must appear on the RSPH register by 23.59 on 24th November to qualify for this payment, unless you achieved HLP Level 1 before December 2014 or have registered through a local scheme.
To register, you must complete the RSPH self-assessment process:
- It’s a good idea to complete the self-assessment on a Word document first. This helps you gather evidence, update/amend it, and make sure you have everything to hand before you do the electronic form.
- You must complete all three parts of the online RSPH self-assessment, confirming you meet the criteria and including relevant evidence of this. (You can copy and paste from your Word document.)
- RSPH will process your registration. Once your pharmacy has been entered onto the register, RSPH will email you. Keep this email as proof you qualify for Quality Payments. Note: You should leave at least 10 working days for your registration to be processed (i.e. we advise you to register by 10th November 2017 if possible).
Full guidance from NHS England
This tip-sheet is just a summary. You must also read the full NHS England guidance to make sure you meet the Quality Payments criteria:
- Pharmacy Quality Payments: Guidance for November 2017 declaration (Oct 2017)
- Pharmacy Quality Payments: Quality Criteria Guidance (Mar 2017)
- Pharmacy Quality Payments: Gateway Criteria Guidance (Dec 2016)
Last updated 27th December 2017
Our HLP page tells you much more about becoming a Healthy Living Pharmacy. It also includes details of training and the training resource pack for HLP Level 1 in Greater Manchester.