Electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD)
ERD Updated Guidance and Resources
Electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD) was introduced in July 2009 as a method of dispensing prescriptions electronically. As an increasing number of areas move towards eRD, GMLPC have collated useful information and a number of resources to help contractors.
Under the repeat dispensing service pharmacy teams should:
- dispense repeat dispensing prescriptions issued by a GP;
- ensure that each repeat supply is required; and
- seek to ascertain that there is no reason why the patient should be referred back to their GP.
As part of the preparations to prioritise work and help manage an increased pressure on the health service as a result of the COVID pandemic, NHS England and NHS Improvement are advising that practices should consider putting all suitable patients on electronic repeat dispensing as soon as possible.
The NHS BSA and NHS Digital have also published a range of resources of pharmacy teams and their patients.
NHS Digital resources
- eRD learning module for pharmacy teams and GP practice staff;
- eRD toolkit – This toolkit is suitable for pharmacy teams as well as GP practice staff. The toolkit includes a dispenser quick guide, full dispenser guide, presentation and patient text
- eRD webinar video
PSNC have also produced a factsheet for pharmacy teams in relation to eRD
PSNC Briefing 004/17: eRepeat Dispensing – A factsheet for pharmacy teams (January 2017)
One side of this briefing contains key phrases to help advise patients on the benefits of eRD, whilst the other side provides a list of questions to ask patients collecting a repeat dispensing/eRD prescription.
A collection of further PSNC and other resources can be found here
NHS Digital is recommending the use of electronic repeat dispensing (eRD) to reduce workload and improve efficiency, particularly during the busy winter months. According to NHS Digital, GPs using EPS now send 50% of prescriptions this way but only just 12% are using eRD. NHS England says 80% of repeat prescriptions could be transferred to eRD, saving 2.7m GP practice hours nationally.
Tools & resources for pharmacies using eRD:
- Checklist of questions you must ask patients each time you dispense using eRD
- Maximising eRD toolkit
- E-learning package
- Electronic Repeat Dispensing Community Pharmacy Booklet revised Jan 2018
- Electronic Repeat Dispensing GP Practice Booklet revised Jan 2018
North Manchester pilot
The evaluation for the eRD pilot in North Manchester is now available.
Read the previous progress report.