Inhaler Technique Service
Inhaler Technique Service
CHL, Bolton LPC and GM LPC are pleased to announce the relaunch of the ‘Improving Inhaler Technique through Community Pharmacy’ service which is commissioned by GMHSCP.
This service was funded by the transformation partnership, beginning in 2012 and will be relaunching for pharmacies already delivering the service. This service, commissioned for a number of years in GM, has recently been renewed and updated to allow for the following enhancements;
- Delivery by a registered pharmacy technicians
- Amended fee structure to give an additional £5 payment if a positive change in CAT/ACT score is demonstrated
- Removal of the requirement to complete 5 initial and follow up consultations before payment is released
- Remote delivery without commissioner consent
MURs will be diminishing from April 2021, which highlights an opportunity for pharmacies to bridge the funding gap by linking the Inhaler Technique Service with DMS, NMS and CPCS. GMLPC will be putting together supporting documents to inform contractors on how to convert an NMS to get additional funding.
Service delivery guide – Inhaler Relaunch Information Guide
ACT Form – Asthma Control Test
CAT Form – CAT Form
SOP – Inhaler Technique SOP template
(Please Note: This is a template SOP that you can adapt for use in your particular pharmacy. It should be reviewed in conjunction with the service specification) agreed and signed off by your pharmacy superintendent before implementation. Pharmacists providing the service must be familiar with the service specification before providing the service)
PSNC – Video Conferencing
CPPE – Inhaler Technique for Health Professionals: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/programmes/l/inhalers-e-02/
CPD modules from Primary Care Respiratory Academy
You can access them all at http://www.respiratoryacademy.co.uk/clinical-resources/cpd-modules/ and they cover:
The Primary Care Respiratory Academy has been developed and produced by Cogora, working in partnership with the Primary Care Respiratory Society UK (PCRS-UK) with endorsement from the British Lung Foundation. Cogora publish Pulse, Nursing in Practice and Healthcare Leader. The initiative is supported by funding from Pfizer, on behalf of the Novartis-Pfizer Alliance, and from Napp Pharmaceuticals.
Inhaler Technique Service Relaunch – Expression of Interest (closed Sunday 16th May)
ALL Contractors who wish to be commissioned to deliver this service should complete the expression of interest (EOI) here: http://bit.ly/inhalerEOI by Sunday 16th May 2021. (this date has now passed)
The EOI must be completed by all pharmacies who wish to provide this service, including any previously commissioned providers.
Pharmacies will be scored and selected based on the quality of their answers, opening hours and by geographical need.
The service specification, funding information and further details can be found on the Inhaler page of our website: http://www.cpgmhealthcare.co.uk/inhaler.html
All successful providers will be notified as soon as possible after the closing date.
- Asthma UK Resources: https://www.asthma.org.uk
- Smokefree: https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree
- Cancer Research UK: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org.uk
- Be Clear on Cancer: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/early-diagnosis-activities/be-clear-on-cancer
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary – Asthma http://cks.nice.org.uk/asthma
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary – COPD http://cks.nice.org.uk/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease
- BTS Guidance – Asthma https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/standards-of-care/guidelines/btssign-british-guideline-on-the-management-of-asthma/
- GOLD COPD guidance https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/GOLD-2019-v1.7-FINAL-14Nov2018-WMS.pd
- British Lung Foundation: https://www.blf.org.uk/
- GM stop smoking website:https://www.gmhealthhub.org/smoking
- GMMMG: http://gmmmg.nhs.uk/