Training and Events
GMLPC and GM Healthcare Academy events
GM Healthcare Academy
We have created GM Healthcare Academy in partnership with other organisations as the key vehicle for coordinating and delivering training, support and workforce development for community pharmacies in Greater Manchester. The Academy is a partnership between the NHS, community pharmacy, and key education and training providers. The majority of our training and education events are now run under the GM Healthcare Academy. Please ensure you read our cancellation policy when booking onto events.
General training in Greater Manchester 2018/19:
- CPPE training: September 2019 to March 2020
- Mary Seacole Leadership Programme for Community Pharmacy
University of Manchester: Free masters-level CPD modules
The University of Manchester is offering free master’s-level courses that community pharmacists can access until March 2020, thanks to funding from the Pharmacy Integration Fund and Health Education England. You can choose from a suite of 18 online distance-learning modules for community pharmacists. Four modules are fully funded per pharmacist which will lead to the qualification of Certificate in Advanced Community Pharmacy Practice (which can be topped up to Diploma or MSc at a later date). Find out more.
GPhC’s new inspection regime, NHS Service Finder & cervical cancer health campaign (26th Feb 2019)
Damian Day, Head of Education, spoke on our consultation on initial education and training standards for pharmacists and Akhtar Malik, Inspector, provided an update on regulating registered pharmacies.
NHS Service Finder Session:
NHS Service Finder is a free to use web based tool provided by NHS England, giving access to the Urgent and Emergency Care (UEC) Directory of Services. NHS Service Finder aims to help clinicians identify what services are nearby, enabling a clinician to clinician discussion, for advice and guidance or a potential patient referral.
With the multitude of services now available for patients it is very difficult, impossible even, for anyone to remember what services are out there and the latest information about them. This is a valuable tool to find appropriate services for patients rather than signposting them to Emergency Departments which are always open but not necessarily best placed to manage every problem. This tool will support referring patients to the most appropriate service for them and help to reduce the pressure on Emergency Departments. The Directory of Services is actively maintained by commissioners and NHS Service Finder is designed to be user friendly allowing for straight forward searches for services that are open for a particular condition or type of service by location.
Please find the handout here.
Cervical Cancer awareness session:
Slides from this presentation: Pharmacy Cervical Presentation
FMD, Quality Payments and NHS Data Security & Protection Toolkit (22nd Nov 2018)
You can view the slides from our briefing event (22nd Nov 2018) with key speaker Raj Patel, Chair of the UK FMD Working Group for Community Pharmacy, explaining what the Falsified Medicines Directive (FMD) means for community pharmacies and how pharmacies can ensure they are complacent by 9th February 2019. The event also included briefings on the Quality Payments scheme for February 2019 and the new NHS Data Security & Protection Toolkit, which all pharmacies must complete by 31st March 2019.
Greater Manchester Community Pharmacy Conference & GMLPC AGM 2018
You can now download a copy of the AGM presentation, Simon Dukes presentation, Contract compliance and contractors, GM Healthcare Academy launch slides from our Greater Manchester Community Pharmacy Conference & AGM, which took place on Sunday 23rd September 2018.
The day included presentations on:
- Consultation skills with children / childhood illnesses
- Dermatology Acne / Rosacea
- Sexual health & EHC
- Simplifying your NMS Process
- Eye Health
- Revalidation & opportunity to get your peer discussion
Simplifying your NMS Process
View key slides from this event, which supported pharmacies to deliver the New Medicine Service (NMS).
Greater Manchester Community Pharmacy Conference & GMLPC AGM 2017
The main slide pack includes presentations on:
- Greater Manchester LPC AGM – Aneet Kapoor, Chair, GMLPC, and Adam Irvine, Chief Executive, GMLPC
- Pharmacy’s Contribution to Greater Manchester – Jane Brown, Chair, Greater Manchester Pharmacy Local Professional Network
- Mary Seacole Programme for Community Pharmacy (and how to apply) – Samantha White, CPPE
- Greater Manchester Vision for Community Pharmacy – Adam Irvine, Chief Executive, GMLPC
- Pharmacy Funding & Quality Payments: What’s Next? – Fin Mc Caul, North West Regional Representative, PSNC (Includes guidance on current supply issues and guidance on November’s Quality Payments)
- There is a separate slide deck on Inhaler Technique Checks – Peter Marks and Dipesh Raghwani, GMLPC
Our webinars are open to all unless otherwise specified. If you miss one, then you can listen to a recording afterwards – just click the relevant link, register your details and you’ll be able to access them. If you have questions about a previous webinar, email them to email@example.com.
- Managing Eye Conditions in Community Pharmacy (recorded 30th October 2018). Find out how to manage common eye conditions that may present in community pharmacy – including red eyes, dry eyes and how to spot ‘red flags’ for potentially sight-threatening conditions – as well as working with community opticians and information about the Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) commissioned in some parts of Greater Manchester. The webinar featured guest speakers Professor Christine Purslow, Head of Medical Affairs (UK & Ireland) at Thea Pharmaceuticals, and Matt Jinkinson, Chair of Greater Manchester’s Optical Advisory Group and Clinical Lead for Greater Manchester Primary Eye Care Ltd. Download the slide pack and access information about MECS, including posters and lists of optical practices offering MECS.
- Promoting Stoptober (recorded 17th September 2018). Find out how to promote the mandatory Stoptober stop-smoking health promotion campaign in your pharmacy in October 2018, with this webinar featuring Liz Benbow, Programme Manager for Greater Manchester Making Smoking History, and Alex Trewhitt from Public Health England. Download the slide pack.
- Promoting Physical Activity (recorded 23rd July 2018). This webinar with guest speakers Dr William Bird MBE, who pioneered health walks and is an expert in the health benefits of physical activity, and Hayley Lever from GM Moving, supports pharmacies to deliver the mandatory health campaign. Expert insight into the health benefits of activity, the risks of inactivity, starting conversations with patients, signposting people to support in your local area and more. Download the slide pack.
- Quality Payments Made Simple (recorded 6th June 2018). Find out how to make sure you achieve your maximum potential points on the 29th June 2018 review date. This webinar explains what’s changed since last year, common mistakes, and how to plan your work so you get it all done in time. Download the slide pack.
- All you need to know about NUMSAS (recorded 12th December 2017). This webinar explains how to register for, provide and claim payment for the NHS Urgent Medicine Supply Advanced Service pilot, which has now been extended to the end of September 2018. Download the slide pack and top tips. [Note: The NUMSAS claims process changed after this webinar was recorded. The current information is in the Claiming Payment section of this page.]
- Achieving & Succeeding at HLP Level 1 (recorded 26th September 2017). This webinar guides you through the process of achieving HLP Level 1 and registering for the associated Quality Payments. It also sets out how to deliver HLP successfully in your pharmacy to benefit patients, customers and local communities. The presenters are Fin Mc Caul (GMLPC and PSNC), Louise Gatley (Bolton LPC) and Dipesh Raghwani (GMLPC). (As well as watching the webinar via the link above, you can also download the slide pack here.)
- Safer, Smarter Community Pharmacy (recorded 15th May 2017). Fantastic advice, case studies and tips on creating a strong patient safety culture, sharing and learning from incidents, preventing errors and preparing annual patient safety reports from Quality Payments from presenters Janice Perkins (Well and PSNC), Dr Penny Lewis and Dr Denham Phipps (University of Manchester and Greater Manchester Community Pharmacy Patient Safety Collaborative), and GMLPC’s Fin Mc Caul and Sarah Wood.
- The Ultimate Guide to Quality Payments (recorded 27th Mar 2017). GMLPC’s Fin Mc Caul (Contractor Engagement Lead) and Sarah Wood (Quality Support Lead) take you through the process with top tips on practical ways of making Quality Payments part of everyday life in the pharmacy.