Fluenz Childhood Immunisation Service 2016 (Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust)
Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT) provide a school aged immunisation service offering a variety of vaccines including Fluenz/Flumist nasal spray.
Fluenz/Flumist is offered to all children in school years 1-6 across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
LLR LPC have collaborated with Leicestershire Partnership Trust to deliver and develop this service.
To achieve this every school is visited once according to a schedule. Children who are home-schooled are visited in their home to offer the vaccination. LPT are committed to delivering this service via a school based approach.
There are occasions where children, whose parents have consented, are not able to have the vaccine on the day of the school visit. The most common reasons are temporary exclusions (e.g. severely blocked nose, fever and wheeze) or the patient is off school on the day of the visit.
Aims of Service:
- Pilot the administration of Fluenz/Flumist vaccine via community pharmacy for those
who missed their opportunity in school
- Prevent transmission and reduce complications of the ‘flu within the community
- Maximise uptake of Fluenz/Flumist
- Provide patients and parents with another opportunity to receive the Fluenz/Flumist
- Provide a service that is accessible, convenient, professional and friendly
- Approximately 10 to 15 community pharmacies will partake in this SLA
- Ideally these pharmacies will be spread out covering all key locations within Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland
The service was successfully delivered in 2015-16 and recommissioned in 2016-17 by Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust
- SLA 2015-16: 100275-sla-2015-16-fluenz
- Evaluation Report: community-pharmacy-pilot-for-nasal-flu-vaccine_report_v1-0
- PJ article: pj-adm-of-nasal-flu-vaccine-via-community-pharmacy-uk-2016