Self Care Resources
Self Care Resources
November 16, 2018
Self Care is the actions that individuals take for themselves, on behalf of and with others in order to develop, protect, maintain and improve their health, wellbeing or wellness.
Pharmacies will help manage minor ailments and common conditions, by the provision of advice and where appropriate, the sale of medicines, including dealing with referrals from NHS 111. Records will be kept where the pharmacist considers it relevant to the care of the patient.
Pharmacists have an increasingly important role in supporting patients with minor ailments, common conditions and providing advice on self care to patients especially in light of increased pressures on GP practices and emergency services.
People have a key role in protecting their own health, choosing appropriate treatments and managing long-term conditions. Self-management is a term used to include all the actions taken by people to recognise, treat and manage their own health. They may do this independently or in partnership with the healthcare system.
Reference guide for Pharmacists:
- Self Care Guidance for minor ailments. Final Version 1.0 (1) GP and Pharmacist reference guide (complete reference guide produced by West Leicestershire CCG)
- Self Care Information minor illnesses in children Children update complete guide 86 pages
- https://www.nhs.uk/ (NHS choices)
- https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/ (resources & information for healthy lifestyles)
Below is a list of resources that can be printed and given to patients to support self care and use in your pharmacy:
- 20131030-SCF-Fact-Sheet-No-11-Otitis-Media-v1-final 20131030-
Posters and promotional material:
- https://www.cppe.ac.uk/news/a/335/guide%20for%20rcgp%20self%20care%20for%20minor%20ailments%20course (RCGP e-course)
- https://www.cppe.ac.uk/gateway/minor (links to all training & education workshops, eLearning & other resources)
- https://www.cppe.ac.uk/programmes/l/respmin-p-03/ (common clinical conditions & minor ailments – CPPE: 8 hour training CPPE)
- 13373_minorailments CPPEPharmacist Training Guide