Essential facts, stats and quotes relating to COPD
Published on: 7th January 2016 | Updated on: 28th March 2022
This page contains facts, stats and quotes that LPC members may find useful when writing business cases or developing resources to support the commissioning of a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) case finding service, COPD management service or an inhaler technique service.
This page is ‘work in progress’ and will continue to be updated with new facts, stats and quotes.
Facts, stats and quotes on other topics can be accessed on the Essential facts, stats and quotes page.
- Approximately 25,000 people die each year from COPD in England.
- Around 86% of these deaths are caused by smoking.
- Up to 20% of people with COPD have been affected by non-smoking-related causes.
- COPD kills 30,000 people a year in the UK, just 5,000 less than the UK’s biggest cancer killer, lung cancer. Yet there is far less awareness of COPD and its devastating effects.
- It is estimated that 2 million people in the UK have COPD but are currently undiagnosed. This means they can’t get the support to give them the quality of life they deserve.
- Up to 25% of long-term smokers will go on to develop COPD.
- COPD led to over 113,000 emergency hospital admissions in 2013 and 2014.
- GP figures revealed that more than 1 million people are living with COPD.
- Based on the findings from the COPD Case Finding Service, it is estimated that if the service was delivered from 11,100 pharmacies in England to 555,000 patients then the NHS could see benefits of:
- lifetime savings from stopping smoking of £214.7m, 96,000 life years, and 46,000 QALYs; and
- annual benefits of £264.5m (from diagnosing patients earlier and reduction in productivity costs).
- Based on the findings from the COPD Support, it is estimated that if the service was delivered from 11,100 pharmacies in England the NHS could see benefits of:
- lifetime savings from stopping smoking of £86m; and
annual savings of £139m (through reduced costs to NHS, social services, societal costs and improved flu vaccination uptake).
For more information on this topic please email email@example.com