Ask PSNC: Flu FAQs

Ask PSNC: Flu FAQs

September 10, 2018

The team at PSNC has received a number of queries on the NHS Flu Vaccination Service 2018/19. Below are some of the questions asked in recent weeks.

Q. Do I need to obtain consent from the local NHS England team before vaccinating a patient in their own home?
No. Contractors do not need to obtain consent before vaccinating a patient in their own home. However, before providing any off-site vaccinations (i.e. in a patients’ homes or long-stay care home or long-stay residential facility), contractors should send a completed copy of the ‘Notification of intent to provide off-site NHS flu vaccinations’ form (available in Annex C of the service specification) to the local NHS England team. No acknowledgment of the receipt of the form is required by the contractor before they provide an off-site vaccination.

Q. What should I do if there is a power failure to the fridge containing the flu vaccines?
You should refer to the Vaccine incident guidance document and the vaccine product’s Summary of Product Characteristics. Further advice should be obtained from your local screening and immunisation team (members of local NHS England teams).

Q. Must patient consent be recorded in writing?
Yes. The national consent form must be completed and then the patient must sign this. A record of the consent may also be maintained on an electronic record, for example, within the Sonar or PharmOutcomes systems, if such a system is available in your pharmacy. Such systems may allow you to print out a completed copy of the consent form for the patient to sign.

Q. Can another pharmacist act as the experienced healthcare practitioner within a period of supervised clinical practice?
Yes, as long as the pharmacist is competent in immunisation and has the ability to make an assessment of a new immuniser’s knowledge and skills.

Q. Will pharmacies be sent promotional materials?
Pharmacy teams may receive promotional materials from their LPC or other local organisations. PSNC promotional materials will not be sent to pharmacies but are freely available to download from

Posted in: ,

More Latest News >

DHSC EU Exit Communication

Community pharmacy teams will be aware that Government has agreed a further extension of the EU exit date to 31st...

Shortage of Labetalol tablets

Specialist Pharmacy Service (SPS) advises that there is currently a shortage of Labetalol 50mg, 100mg, 200mg and 400mg tablets. The...