Contractor Notice: Expiry of SSP009 for Fluoxetine 40mg capsules
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has confirmed that sufficient stock of Fluoxetine 40mg capsules is now available to meet normal demand. As a result the Serious Shortage Protocol, SSP009, for Fluoxetine 40mg capsules is due to expire at 23.59pm on Monday 17 May 2021 (today). After this date, any prescriptions for Fluoxetine 40mg capsules must be dispensed in accordance with the prescription, and the SSP009 will no longer be valid for use.
Top tips for SSP claims
- Pharmacy teams are advised to submit their SSP claims using the EPS token if dispensing systems do not support all the endorsement requirements to submit a valid claim.
- If using an EPS token to submit SSP claims, remember to mark the corresponding EPS message as ‘Not Dispensed’ or ’ND’, to avoid double-claiming.
- Where available, use the claim amend facility on the PMR system to rectify any incorrect EPS claims already submitted this month.
- Any paper prescriptions or EPS tokens with SSP claims need to be placed in the red separator provided by the NHSBSA (and kept separate from other tokens for non-payment i.e. with paid/exempt status).
- For any supplies made in accordance with SSPs, check that the correct number of patient charges are collected and declared on the end of month FP34C submission document.
- Although an SSP cannot be used outside its period of validity, claims can be submitted up to three calendar months after expiry or withdrawal of the SSP. For example, for the Fluoxetine 40mg capsules, which expired on 17 May, the NHSBSA would look for the “NCSO” endorsement in the May batch (submitted by the 5th of June), June batch (submitted by the 5th July) and July batch (submitted by the 5th of August).
- NHSBSA advise that contractors must follow the specific endorsement guidance issued with each SSP and endorsements should be clear and unambiguous – NHSBSA processing staff must be able to determine what has been supplied.
- Pharmacy contractors should keep a record of all SSP claims submitted each month to reconcile against their monthly Schedule of Payments or Prescription Item (Px) reports.
- View our SSP submission guidance to ensure your SSP claims are appropriately submitted to NHSBSA for reimbursement.
View PSNC’s SSP FAQ page here.
View NHSBSA’s support guidance to endorsing Fluoxetine 40mg capsules here.
To view the latest SSP updates visit: www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/pharmacies-gp-practices-andappliance-contractors/serious-shortage-protocols-ssps