Over 500 products added to DND list in past 2 years
Following applications made by PSNC to the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA), a further 9 new products will be classed as ‘Drugs for which Discount is Not Deducted’ (DND) from 1 July 2022. This takes the total number of products granted DND status over the past 2 years to over 500 following checks made by PSNC.
- Fludrocortisone 50micrograms/5ml oral suspension (Group)
- Lorazepam 1mg/5ml oral suspension (Group)
- Lorazepam 500micrograms/5ml oral suspension (Group)
- Zopiclone 3.75mg/5ml oral solution (Group)
- Zopiclone 7.5mg/5ml oral solution (Group)
- GA explore5 oral powder 12.5g sachets
- HCU explore5 oral powder 12.5g sachets
- MSUD explore5 oral powder 12.5g sachets
- TYR explore5 oral powder 12.5g sachets
For a list of all the monthly changes to the DND status of products please see the following page Notice of changes to discount not deducted (DND) status of products.
The DND list is updated monthly by the DHSC and includes grouped and individual items. Individual items are separately listed in Part II of the Drug Tariff. Any items covered by the ‘Group Items’ heading are not listed again individually in Part II. Contractors can also check the Actual Medicinal Product (AMP) listing on Dictionary of Medicines and Devices (dm+d) to identify whether a product meets the DND criteria (see below).
Any products that are covered by one or more of the Group items categories below are reimbursed without any discount deduction applied.
- Cold Chain Storage (ALL)
- Schedule 1, 2 or 3 Controlled Drugs: Products containing drugs listed in Schedules 1, 2 and 3 of the Misuse of Drugs Regulation 2001
- Cytotoxic or Cytostatic item (ALL):
- Immunoglobulins (ALL)
- Insulins for injection (ALL)
- Vaccines and antisera (ALL)
- Unlicensed medicines: ‘Specials’ not listed in Part VIIIB where the product has been sourced from a supplier holding a MHRA specials or importers licence (prescriptions must be endorsed with invoice price less discount/rebate)
- Hazardous chemicals
Products that do not are covered by one or more of the Group item categories above must fulfil all three of the following criteria to qualify for entry to the DND list.
- the manufacturer(s), AAH and Alliance do not offer pharmacy contractors a discount
- fewer than 500,000 items per year are dispensed of the product
- average net ingredient cost (NIC) per item is more than £50
PSNC will continue its work to assess whether other drugs and appliances fulfil the current DND entry requirements under either the ‘Group’ and ‘Individual item’ criteria and make applications to NHSBSA and DHSC, accordingly.
If a product is currently subject to the discount deduction scale and you believe that it should be added to DND list based on the criteria specified above, please contact the PSNC Dispensing and Supply Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org who will investigate whether the product meets the relevant DND criteria and make an application to the DHSC and NHSBSA, as appropriate.
For further information on how discount deduction works, click here