Vaccinations when working or deployed in care homes
Following on from the announcement that the Department of Health and Social Care has published guidance on new regulations which make COVID-19 vaccination a requirement for people working or deployed in care homes from 11th November 2021, NHS England and NHS Improvement (NHSE&I) has written to NHS staff, including community pharmacy contractors, on how this will be delivered operationally.
Contractors who provide services to care homes will need to:
- actively support staff to have their first COVID-19 vaccine by 16th September 2021 (as eight weeks is required between the two doses);
- carry out proactive workforce planning to ensure:
- only staff who are vaccinated, or exempt, are deployed to a care home from 11th November 2021;
- service provision is not disrupted once this regulation comes into force; and
- ensure that relevant staff can demonstrate to care home staff, via the NHS COVID Pass service, that they have either had two doses or are exempt.
NHSE&I has also published FAQs, which will be updated on a regular basis, to support implementation of the new regulations.