Section last updated: 20th April 2021
PSNC’s COVID-19 hub contains links to information, guidance and resources on the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic for community pharmacy contractors and their teams.
Messages to the sector
PSNC CEO Blog
The PSNC Chief Executive’s monthly blog covers topical issues for the community pharmacy sector, where the COVID-19 pandemic response has featured heavily in recent months. Simon Dukes has used his blog to talk about community pharmacy’s role and incredible efforts during the pandemic, the huge pressures that pharmacy teams are under, and the important negotiations taking place.
Letter from UK Chief Pharmaceutical Officers and regulators (21st January 2021)
The Chief Pharmaceutical Officers and regulators for pharmacy in the UK have issued a joint letter thanking all members of the pharmacy team for their ongoing work during the COVID-19 pandemic, and recognised the extreme pressures that they are continuing to face.
Pharmacy Minister’s open letter to community pharmacy staff (5th November 2020)
Jo Churchill MP, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State with responsibility for community pharmacy, says the Government is “hugely grateful” for the work that community pharmacy teams have undertaken during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matt Hancock thanks NHS workforce (17th August 2020)
The Health and Social Care Secretary, Matt Hancock, has praised the dedication of those who work for the NHS, whilst calling for evidence on reducing bureaucracy in the health and social care system. Mr Hancock set out what he has learnt from the COVID-19 pandemic and invited views from healthcare workers through an open consultation. The evidence gathered will be used to identify common bureaucratic burdens and make changes where appropriate.
PSNC CEO video message (15th May 2020)
In this video, PSNC Chief Executive Simon Dukes confirms that negotiations on additional funding for the sector are ongoing, and he describes how discussions with DHSC and NHSE&I are now also turning to the expected next phases of the pandemic in the UK.
Video message from the national pharmacy bodies (9th April 2020)
Coming together to film a video thanking the sector for its work to support patients, the CEOs of PSNC, AIM, CCA, NPA and RPS say their teams will continue to fight pharmacy’s corner and work flat out to provide support and guidance.
Pharmacy Minister’s open letter to pharmacy (3rd April 2020)
Jo Churchill MP, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State with responsibility for community pharmacy, thanks pharmacists and pharmacy teams for their work during the COVID-19 pandemic. She says that Government recognised that pharmacy teams were on the front line and thanked them for the outstanding response they were giving patients.
Key actions to take during the pandemic
Guidance for pharmacies has been published by NHSE&I, which is subject to review as the situation changes. Our general guidance is that pharmacy contractors and their teams:
- Read the NHSE&I guidance whenever it is updated and implement its recommended actions;
- Clearly display the COVID-19 posters at points of entry to your pharmacy;
- Complete a risk review for your pharmacy and put steps in place to mitigate any risks identified;
- All pharmacy staff should wear facemasks;
- Implement your business continuity plan where required and seek assistance and advice from your Local Pharmaceutical Committee;
- Keep up to date with developments by regularly checking the information on COVID-19 on GOV.UK, the NHSE&I Coronavirus Primary Care webpage and checking your NHSmail shared mailbox on a regular basis for updates from NHSE&I; and
- Where possible, display the public health advice posters on hand washing, social distancing etc