NHS Improvement is the operational name for an organisation that brings together:
- NHS Trust Development Authority;
- Patient Safety, including the National Reporting and Learning System;
- Advancing Change Team; and
- Intensive Support Teams.
NHS Improvement is responsible for overseeing foundation trusts and NHS trusts, as well as independent providers that provide NHS-funded care. It offers support to providers to help them provide patients with consistently safe, high quality and compassionate care within local health systems that are financially sustainable.
To achieve this, NHS Improvement works closely alongside providers and works with national partners, particularly NHS England, to create the conditions for providers to flourish. In late 2018, NHS England and NHS Improvement announced that they would move to a combined regional structure, with staff from both organisations working together in combined local teams.
To support providers to deliver, NHS Improvement:
- supports all trusts to develop the capability to improve and apply evidence-based improvement methodologies;
- encourages providers to actively engage patients in improving services;
- will scale up and spread the learning from providers more systematically;
- supports the coaching and mentoring of new leaders and create a cadre of interim executive leaders to stabilise the most challenged providers;
- provides dedicated support and development for providers in, or at risk of being in, special measures, including senior leadership capacity and buddying;
- supports long-term capacity building; and
- supports providers in implementing the recommendations of the Carter Review. NHS Improvement will also be working with non-acute providers to apply similar methodologies and tools to these sectors.
NHS Improvement’s main focus is not on primary care, including community pharmacy, but its work on patient safety does cover community pharmacy and its patient safety team works closely with the national pharmacy bodies and the Community Pharmacy Patient Safety Group.