NHSX is a joint organisation formed in July 2019 for digital, data and technology. It brings teams from the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), NHS England and NHS Improvement together into one unit to drive digital change and lead related policy.
NHSX is not replacing existing organisations but uses agreements between the organisations to support the joint venture. The Chief Executive Officer of NHSX, Matthew Gould has been tasked with having strategic responsibility for setting the national direction on technology across organisations. The CEO will be accountable to the Health Secretary and chief executives of NHS England and NHS Improvement.
DHSC announced that NHSX’s responsibilities are intended to include:
- setting national policy and developing best practice for NHS technology, digital and data – including data-sharing and transparency;
- setting standards – developing, agreeing and mandating clear standards for the use of technology in the NHS;
- ensuring that NHS systems can talk to each other across the health and care system;
- helping to improve clinical care by delivering agile, user-focused projects;
- supporting the use of new technologies by the NHS, both by working with industry and via its own prototyping and development capability;
- ensuring that common technologies and services, including the NHS App, are designed so that trusts and surgeries don’t have to reinvent the wheel each time;
- making sure that all source code is open by default so that anyone who wants to write code for the NHS can see what we need;
- reforming procurement – helping the NHS buy the right technology through the application of technology standards, streamlined spend controls and new procurement frameworks that support our standards;
- setting national strategy and mandating cyber security standards, so that NHS and social care systems have security designed in from the start;
- championing and developing digital training, skills and culture so our staff are digital-ready; and
- delivering an efficient process for technology spend, domain name management and website security.
PSNC’s IT team works with NHSX. If you have queries on this webpage or you require more information please contact email@example.com. To share and hear views about digital developments with like-minded pharmacy team members, join the CP Digital email group today.
Return to the IT section: Policy, the NHS and IT